Sunday, January 12, 2014

Welcome Home Blue

The long wait is over.  On Tuesday, Carl and I drove to Seneca, Nebraska to the home of Jean Miller to pick up our new puppy.  This is him pictured at age 7 weeks.  He was just a few days older when he left for home with us.  We were thrilled to visit Jean and her husband Mike at Solo Standards.  We enjoyed the 6 hour drive and saw some landscapes that were gorgeous, even in the middle of winter.  We met the entire litter and the mom and dad and Jean's other beautiful dogs.

I will admit that the first introduction did not go so well.  While his litter mates raced to greet us, Blue took one look at me and turned his face away, like "maybe if I look this way, she won't see me'.  He had been to the vet for shots the day before and had a bath and a clip that very morning.  I think he sensed that more escapades were in his future.  I think Jean felt bad that Blue, VERY OBVIOUSLY dissed me, but I assured her that I am an acquired taste and I was sure he would come around.  Well, the 6 hour ride home was all that it took.  He now thinks I am the bomb!  The vending machine of life and source of all his outings and fun.  The two old girls Torrey and Biscuit worried me at first, they very obviously did not want another fur ball around, but Mr. Charisma is wheedling his way into their space too.  I won't say he has won them over completely, but he is not very afraid of them for sure.  Biscuit growled a warning to him this morning NOT to come onto her bed, so instead he jumped right on top of HER.  She constantly looks at me like "Is he staying???", but I would guess she is starting to be as amused by his antics as we are.

All the books say you should give the pup a few days to settle in, but we had lots to do…..so Blue settled in by greeting the customers in the store for 3 days, sleeping in on a workshop we had here on Saturday and today he went for his first voice lesson.  He slept thru that and didn't mind the piano at all.
Such a good guy he is!!!  Very laid back until about 8pm, when he turns in to a complete raging monkey tearing around the kitchen, rearranging the dog beds and hassling the old ladies.  Then, he collapses and is ready for bed.  All right, I am going to admit it, right up front.  I let him sleep with us from the first night.  He wakes me up when he wants to go outside and everyone is sleeping soundly.  I suppose I failed the Cesar Milan school of dog training for that, but one of the authors of a poodle book I read said "If you are not going to let your poodle sleep with you……why bother owning one?"  I may question this decision when he is a 90lb dog like his gorgeous dad Reuben,  but for now,we all fit fine.
I will have more pictures of Blue and the ladies at the FACE class taught by Pat Shafer on Saturday, tomorrow.

It was a wonderful class.  Pat is a terrific teacher and we all learned lots about the techniques to hook faces, which are always a challenge.  We have another class on January 25, if any of you would like to join us!  It was well worth the $75 class fee.  Thanks Pat!

Next is a picture of the rug I am working on for daughter Leah.  This, of course, is Mij the Wonder Dog, captured in wool.  Leah picked out the colors for the flowers.  We added a squirrel, cause Mij loves a squirrel.  I will show more pictures in the week to come.

I better run for now.  We had auditions for Fiddler last Sunday night.  We have a great cast, including 2 of our favorite rug hookers, Pat Shafer and Colleen Cochrane.  Pat's husband Steve is our sound man…..couldn't do without him.  We have practice tonight and I have to make a run to PetSmart for 'you know who'.

Talk soon,
Janice

2 comments:

  1. AW! Blue is just adorable!!! So is your Mij rug. Such talent...sigh.
    Hugs :)
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like Blue has you wrapped around his cute little paw, as it should be!

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts.