Saturday, July 13, 2013

Farm Life

 This is one of my favorite times of year on our little farm.  I love to see the bales of hay sitting in the field.  Neighbor Mark got the hay put up yesterday and I drove the gator out just to smell the hay.  It is better than any perfume.  Yes, Vicki Yanda, it is even better than "Angel"!!!!!   I bet you would agree.
So, the peaceful pastoral picture on top is simply to balance out the fact that I am raising 6 feral kittens, pictured below.  There is absolutely nothing peaceful about them.  To say they are full of the dickens, would be a polite understatement.   These little darlings were born in the neighbor's hayloft.  Their mother was a lovely grey cat, just passing thru the neighborhood.  Our great neighbors do not keep cats on their farm, but knowing that we do have cats and were looking for a couple of new kittens, they offered to set a humane live trap to catch them.  They thought there were 2 or 3 of them.  But they kept catching kittens, and catching kittens until our little cat condo had 6 in all.   At first they would not even come out of their crate when I came near, but now they have identified me as the food lady and I am much more popular.  We started out giving them kitten formula and now give them canned cat delicacies along with their dry kitten food.  I can now pick up 4 or the 6.  I can pet the 5th, but the last one caught is the wiliest and still won't let me get near him.   They will have to stay in the cat condo for a few more weeks until they are easy enough to handle that they can go the veterinarian to gets shots and neutered.  We have a ways to go.

You may have noticed that this blog has nothing to do with wool, rugs or antiques, but that is just to lure you in.  Tomorrow, I will write about our great day of hooking here at the store.  I also got in a fabulous set of seed drawers that I will show also.  In the meantime....send calming thoughts to Rocky, Joyanna, Oceanna, Boots, Socks and LePew.  Yeah, and about those names,  Carl and I are responsible for Boots and Socks.  The more colorful names you can blame on my daughter Leah (LePew), grandson Smith (Rocky) and his dad Matt.  The father of 2 sons, he said if he ever had daughters he would have named them Joyanna and Oceanna.  Whew, are we ever glad
he and Rachel had sons.

Tomorrow.......back to rug hooking and antiques.
Janice

1 comment:

  1. I commented earlier, but it didn't seem to post.......I whole heartedly agree about the smell of fresh cut hay.......I have been known to be outside sniffing away at just the right few times of the year!! It evokes every good summer memory I have!

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts.